September 19, 2008

Pasta Rosa


As I've mentioned before, my hubby is Italian. That makes me Italian-ish by default. Like all good Italian-ish wives, I always have a vat of his Grandma's Sauce in my refrigerator or freezer. You should do the same.

Last night I had a craving for pasta. While we love to eat the standard red sauce, I was in the mood for something a little different. After scanning the refrigerator, I decided to make Pasta Rosa.


This recipe is an easy variation on the traditional red sauce. I whipped it up in just a few minutes by using some leftover chicken and roasted broccoli.


Pasta Rosa

4+ c. of Grandma's Sauce
1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream

1/4 c. frozen baby peas, defrosted
1/2 c. broccoli florets, cooked until slightly tender

1 c. cooked chicken, sliced
1 lb. pasta

freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Pour Grandma's Sauce into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat.


Add the cream and stir to combine. The sauce should be a lovely pinkish color.


Add the peas, broccoli and chicken. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for a few minutes until the vegetables and meat are heated through.


Meanwhile, cook your pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain.


Toss the pasta in the sauce, making sure it is coated thoroughly. To serve, top with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese.


No comments: