May 15, 2008

Vegan Burritos


My hubby has decided to do a 30 day Vegan fast to clean out his system. If you knew my hubby, you would understand what a big deal this is. He comes from a long line of carnivores. He is a man's man... a meat eater.

Having been married for 15 years, I understand what a long 30 days this could potentially be. Because I am such an amazing wife (ha!), I have purposed to come up with a variety of tasty meals to help coax him along. Last night I prepared delicious Vegan Burritos.

I decided that the main ingredient in my burritos would be beans, both black and pinto. I opted to use dried beans as opposed to just dumping something out of a can. After allowing the beans to soak overnight, I drained the beans and set two pots on the stove over medium-high heat. I put 1 tsp. of olive oil in each pan and added about 1/2 of an onion, finely diced, to each pot along with a clove or two of minced garlic. Once the onion and garlic were tender, I added the beans to their respective pots along with enough water to cover by an inch. I then added a decent amount of salt and a little cumin to the beans. The beans were allowed to simmer most of the day, adding water as necessary, until they were tender, flavorful and creamy.

While I love bean burritos, I wanted to add a little something to enhance the flavor. I diced onion, red bell peppers and zucchini into bite-sized pieces. After heating my pan over medium-high heat, I added a little olive oil and sautéed the vegetables until they were tender an caramelized. I seasoned the vegetables with a little salt, fresh ground pepper, cumin and coriander.

Now came the time to assemble the burritos. I took some locally made tortillas and warmed them in a 400 degree F oven for 1-2 minutes. Once out of the oven, I filled the tortillas with a thick layer of beans and vegetables. My hubby even added some leftover brown rice to his burritos. The vegetables were then topped with diced tomatoes, wedges of avocado and some homemade salsa (I will post this recipe later).

The burritos were delicious. So good, in fact, that I didn't even miss the meat, cheese or sour cream. Who knew going Vegan could be so easy!

All this writing has made me hungry. I think I might go whip up some leftovers for lunch.


Vegan Burritos

corn tortillas, lightly warmed in the oven
black beans
pinto beans
sautéed vegetables
diced tomatoes
wedges of avacado
homemade salsa

1 comment:

Brook said...

I don't think that our boys or I would miss meat at all, but my husband sure would. How did the month go? Did he feel better afterwords? I know about Biblical fasting, but have never heard of a meat fast.