March 15, 2010

Chicken Salad


I am obsessed with eating chicken salad. Strange isn't it? I just can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

Years will pass without me making a single batch. Then, wham! I find myself dreaming up reasons to roast a few chickens so I can justify my obsession under the guise of using up the leftovers.

I like my chicken salad loaded with dried cranberries, grapes, nuts and fresh herbs. It is delicious on it's own, but is especially tasty on freshly toasted Cranberry-Walnut Bread or on top of a spinach salad.

Give it a try. You may even love it as much as I do.

*** The measurements in the recipe are just rough estimates. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your personal taste.

Chicken Salad
2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. red grapes, halved
1/4 c. nuts, chopped
1-2 Tbs. fresh herbs, minced
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder



Place the diced chicken in a large bowl. I prefer to use roasted chicken, but any cooked chicken will do. This is also a great way to use up some of that leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.


Add the dried cranberries.


Add the grapes.


Add the nuts. I generally use pecans or walnuts, but feel free to use any nuts or seeds that you have on hand.


Add the fresh herbs. I happened to have chives and flat leaf parsley on hand.


Stir the ingredients to combine.


Add the mayonnaise, salt, pepper and onion powder. I have found that the onion powder really elevates the flavor of the chicken salad.


Give everything a thorough mixing. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. You may need to add a little more mayonnaise if the chicken salad seems a little dry.

Enjoy!

No comments: