December 1, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole


I would like to share one of my favorite holiday recipes, Sweet Potato Casserole. What sets this recipe apart from all those other sweet potato dishes is the candied pecan topping. It is so good, I could eat it for dessert.

Here in the South, the key ingredient in most sweet potato casseroles is marshmallows. Now don't get me wrong, I love toasted marshmallows just as much as the next per
son. I just prefer them to be on a s'more, not in a casserole.

Even if you aren't usually a huge fan of sweet potatoes, I want to encourage you to give this recipe a try. I'm sure it will become a family favorite around your house as well.


Sweet Potato Casserole

2 c. sweet potatoes, mashed
1 stick of butter, melted
3/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

Topping:
1 c. pecans,
chopped
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Place your mashed sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl.


Add the sugar and brown sugar.


Add the nutmeg and cinnamon.


Whisk the ingredients together.


Add the melted butter, eggs and milk.


Stir until combined.


Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-40 minutes.


Meanwhile combine the nuts, brown sugar and butter.


Once the sweet potatoes are bubbly, spread the topping evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

No comments: