November 21, 2007

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones


I admit it. I am not a big fan of Starbucks coffee. I think it tastes like the beans have been burned. I know that I am probably part of a very small minority of people that feel this way. Forgive me.

I do, however, enjoy their pumpkin scones. My son, who is a self-proclaimed pastry connoisseur, is the one who introduced me to this tasty treat. They are moist, flavorful and delicious.

For years, I have been listening to my son beg me to make "those pumpkin scones that they have at Starbucks." Today, while searching the web, I stumbled across the recipe. What else could we do but whip up a quick batch? My son is in heaven.

Who knows, they may even become a Thanksgiving tradition around our house.


Starbucks Pumpkin Scones


To make the scones:

4 c. flour
3/4 c. + 2 Tbs. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. ginger

3/4 c. cold butter, cut into small pieces

1 c. pumpkin

6 Tbs. half and half

2 eggs
1 Tbs. cream
sugar for sprinkling


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir until just blended.

Lightly flour your work surface and pat the dough out into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Using a knife, slice the dough in half lengthwise. Then slice the dough twice through the width, making 6 equal portions. Cut those 6 pieces diagonally so that you end up with 12 triangular pieces of dough. You can also cut them out using a biscuit cutter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Lightly brush the tops of the scones with the cream and then sprinkle them with sugar.

Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the scones begin to turn light brown. Place them on a wire rack to cool.

To make the Icing:

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

1 pinch ginger

1 pinch cloves

2 Tbs. milk

In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar and spices. Add the milk and stir until a the icing is smooth. Once the scones have cooled, drizzle the tops with icing.

No comments: