November 14, 2007

Chowder


I had the best clam chowder of my life on a trip to Bar Harbor, Maine several years ago. In hindsight, I wish I would have had the presence of mind to ask for the recipe. Alas, I did not.

Since that time, I have tried numerous recipes trying to duplicate my beloved chowder. This one comes close. I'm not sure where I picked it up along the way, but I hope you enjoy it.


Clam & Corn Chowder


3 slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 c. corn

1 lb. new potatoes, cubed

2 (8 0z.) bottles clam juice

1/2 c. water

2 lb. small clams, cleaned well
or
1 can whole baby clams

1 c. whole milk

1/2 c. heavy cream

2 Tbs. butter

salt & pepper to taste


In a pot, cook bacon over medium heat until browned, but not crisp. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain.

Add onions to the reserved bacon grease and cook until translucent. Add corn, potatoes, clam juice and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Add the clams. If you are using fresh clams, cook until they open. If you are using canned clams, allow to cook until they are heated through.

Lower the heat and add the milk, cream and butter. Once the butter is melted, season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: